Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Gluten Free on the Go

One of the hardest things for me to get used to with eating gluten free was being restricted in eating at social events. My Sunday school class has about one party each month, and the parties almost exclusively include food.

I usually just bring a little something for myself, but I hate mentioning it to the hostess because she then feels like she has to provide a special menu for me. I don't mind bringing my own food, but I do get uncomfortable with the attention it draws.

Yesterday I played three youth concerts with my local symphony. We had concerts at 9:30, 11:00, and 1:00. The surrounding school districts bussed some of their students to our concert hall, and between all the concerts we played for well over 4000 kids. The symphony did provide us with lunch. I packed my own, of course, but did partake of the fresh fruit they served. I had packed an egg salad sandwich. As I didn't want to draw attention to myself or explain my food choices to everyone and their brother, I just ate my sandwich backstage by myself. I think that if I had had a sandwich that didn't have such a distinct smell, I would have been more bold.

No comments: