Thursday, September 18, 2008

Baking Bread

Well, I promised my bread recipe, so here it is. I've adapted it a bit since I posted about it here.

Dry ingredients:
1 cup white rice flour
1 cup brown rice flour
½ cup tapioca flour
½ cup sorghum flour
½ cup dry milk powder
3 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 tablespoon pectin
½ teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon gelatin

Wet ingredients:
2 eggs
¼ cup olive oil
1 ½ teaspoons gluten free apple cider vinegar
1 ½ cups and 2 tablespoons water

Yeast:
1 ½ teaspoons bread machine/quick rise yeast




Mix together all of the dry ingredients (excluding yeast).



Beat the eggs, and then add the olive oil and vinegar and beat again.



Pour the egg mixture into the bread machine pan.




Add the water to the pan.


Pour the dry ingredients on top of the wet. Make a little well in the dry ingredients and pour the yeast in it.



Set your Breadman TR875 to the gluten free setting, lock the pan in place, and hit start. I use a little spatula to scrape around the edges of the pan a couple times in the first few minutes.



After the kneading cycle (20 minutes) scoop the dough into a greased bread pan. I’ve found it quite important to shape the loaf in the bread pan.


Cover and set to rise in a warm place. After it’s about doubled in size, put it in the oven, preheated to 350 degrees. Bake for about 45 to 55 minutes.


Check for doneness with a thermometer. It should read between 200 and 210 degrees in the middle of the loaf. A huge "THANK YOU" to Carrie at Ginger Lemon Girl (AKA Gluten Free Baking Goddess) for tipping me off to this thermometer trick. It really helps to figure out when the bread is done. In fact, Carrie has a great post that you should check out that's all about baking bread.



Cool on a wire rack and enjoy!



This makes great toast (I’m having some right now) and it makes a nice sandwich, too!




Like I've mentioned before, I measure out the dry ingredients for two loaves and keep one for the next time I need it!

5 comments:

Li loves David said...

Looks good! I'll have to try the thermometer. Thanks for passing on that tip. ~Li

Carrie said...

You ROCK!! I couldn't wait to see this post! I'm so making your bread the next time i need it! It looks WONDERFUL!! Glad that the thermometer trick helped you!! It really helped me not to have bread to fall! Great pics gal!! Nice job!

Carrie said...

PS.. I LOVE that you ONLY use 1 1/2 teaspoons of yeast. I always end up using close to a tablespoon. I'm trying it your way next time!!

Gluten free Kay said...

Hi Sarah,

Carrie has been my baking mentor, too. Wish I could use xanthan gum, so my loaves would be a pretty as yours. But I'm getting by without it.

I posted my responses to your "About Me" tag.

Sarah said...

Thanks for the positive feedback, ladies! I'm glad you enjoyed the post!