Saturday, June 14, 2008

Summer Reading

Following Gluten Free Frugal's lead, I'm going to tell you a little about my summer reading. I've just started "Bel Canto" by Ann Patchett for the second time. I loved this book the first time through, and nothing is lost by knowing the ending.

Patchett's writing style is quite unlike the authers I usually read (Stephen Lawhead, Jasper Fforde, Bruce Ware). She's very descriptive. She writes things that may not be grammatically "proper," but it really gets the point across.

The overall plot is that some people at a political dinner party are taken hostage. They get to know their fellow hostages and their captors, working past the language barriers. Among the hostages is a famous opera singer and she practices and performs for them. Being a musician myself, I love this plot device.

It does have a few adult themes (it is a hostage situation, after all), but it has such a unique story. It's a beautiful and thoughtful look into human nature.

No comments: