Sunday, June 29, 2008

Budget Update

Tim and I just about made it through our switch to cash for groceries for the month of June. And, we ran out of money about a week ago. We want to set it up so we can save money, but also so we can succeed in our budget.

We're going to try switching to taking out cash every two weeks instead of once a month. So the Saturday after we get paid, we'll take out $100 for groceries for the next two weeks. Hopefully it will be easier to gauge how much money we should (or shouldn't) spend in two weeks as opposed to one month.

I'll let you know how this works for us. We still might adjust the amount after a few cycles of two weeks, but I know this will save us money in the long run.

7 comments:

Neno said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Oops! That was me up there! Just saying that we had to adjust our budget a lot before we knew the right amounts, and that we still run out of money before week. Sigh.

Carrie said...

we are trying to do this too! THIS month we are starting the $50/wk deal... fingers crossed we'll be able to do it. we've started grocery shopping at aldi again. i'll let you know how it goes!

Sarah said...

Thanks for the encouragement! I'll let you know how it goes!

Gluten free Kay said...

I even put my vegetable garden on a budget this year. I used mostly leftover seed from last year. I got some free compost. All my fences and trellises are either made from sticks, or reused cast-offs.

Eating gf was surprisingly expensive at first, but fresh produce is naturally gluten free. So I'll can or freeze everything I can from the garden. I've got six quart bags of cherries in the freeser already. And several jars of black raspberry and cherry preserves. Can't wait for those cukes so my pickling season can get into full swing.

Sarah said...

Kay,
You are the produce master! I'm definitely coming to you with my preserving questions.

Anonymous said...

Hi Everybody,
Budget's are hard but a necessary evil. I'm close to 60 years old (Very close!) and I remember when two people could live on $10,000-$12,000 a year, have money in the bank, and still take a nice vacation for a week in the summer. Groceries would fill a paper bag (We didn't have plastic bags back then. You know they're made from oil, don't you?) to over flowing for $10. You read right; $10. I know, I know--That was then this is now. My hats off to all of you for sqeezing a penny untill President Lincoln shouts. Always remember: "Life is full of plan 'B'" and "Live with courage".
Love Dad :-)