Friday, June 13, 2008

Gluten Free Friday, Last Day

Well, I'm going to wrap up my Gluten Free Fridays series. Find all of the installations on my sidebar.

Today I'm going to bring up two ideas essential to living the gluten free life. The first is this: Have good resources.

I would not be where I am today, culinary-wise, if not for my Bette Hagman cookbooks. Her essays and tip are so informative, and her recipes are great, too! Her work has really helped me transition to this new lifestyle.

I also am so greatful for other gluten free blogs. I've learned so much and found so many tasty recipes! Check out Rachel's listing for more gluten free bloggers. It's quite extensive!

My other tip for the day is to be your own advocate. I need to learn to take my own advice, I know, but it's still good advice. Speak up for yourself when appropriate; don't be afraid to let people know about your needs.

That wraps up Gluten Free Fridays. I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did! Thanks for coming along for the ride!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you SO MUCH for mentioning Better Hagman. She was a true pioneer and led the way for many others.

I was quite dismayed when the Gluten Free Girl blog dissed her last year, saying she didn't care for her recipes; alluding to the fact that they are passe'....NOT! Bette Hagman's books still sell well, and she introduced me to gluten free living via her books, and I will be forever grateful.

Thanks for mentioning her. I've read she stayed devoted to the cause until the very end, and was even writing another gluten free book after her stroke, before she passed on. I wish the Gluten Free community as a whole would acknowledge her more.

Sarah said...

Anon,
I didn't even realize that was there was some "discontent" in the gf world about Bette Hagman. I like her down-to-earth recipes. It seems to me that a lot of new recipes call for expensive and unusual ingredients. I like Bette's tried and true recipes.

Thanks for the comment!