Sunday, November 16, 2008

Chicken Soup Variation

I had a semi-failed experiment last week. I had a great idea, but looking back, I should have realized that it wouldn’t play out quite like I intended it.

I thought that I should make sweet potato dumplings to go in my chicken veggie soup. So I made some mashed sweet potatoes and dropped them into the boiling soup by spoonfuls.




Of course, they dissolved!

The end result was still very good. The sweet potatoes thickened up the broth and made it a little creamy.



Sometimes “failed” experiments can end up with good results!

3 comments:

Li loves David said...

I do that all the time, it makes the best vegetable broth! I even toss small, leftover amounts of any winter squash in the freezer just for soup. Yum!

Carrie said...

If you want more of a dumplin' you could take the sweet potatoes and add about 1/2-1 cup of gf flour to them along with 1/2-1 teaspoon or more of baking powder and a couple of tablespoons of butter or shortening... basically a sweet potato biscuit recipe that you just "dump" by spoonfuls into your soup! I bet that would be yummy and they should bobble up to the top and cook like a dumpling... just a guess!!

But I LOVE how you just mixed it into your soup for a really creamy soup!! You are so creative!! Great job!!

Sarah said...

Li,
That sounds good with the squash! I sister once made a really tasty squash soup. I don't know why I don't do that more often.

Carrie,
Your sweet potato biscuit idea is great! I think that's what I was trying to do, but I really didn't think it though! I'll have to try it your way next time!

Thanks for the comments ladies!