Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Blue Cheese - Gluten Free?

Gluten Free Kay asked me about the blue cheese that I had on Thanksgiving. I served Amablu blue cheese. I emailed Amablu to ask if their cheese was gluten free and received a response in 18 minutes. Here’s what Beth at Amablu said:

“That is a very common question and I’m glad you asked. Our Amablu products, including our blue cheese, gorgonzola and our award winning St. Pete’s Select blue cheese are all gluten free. We are careful to purchase our Penicillium roqueforttii from manufacturers that culture without the use of wheat or rye breads.

We here at Faribault Dairy take pride in making handmade, all natural, award winning cheese and ultimately strive for you, the consumer to have a pleasurable palate experience. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions or concerns.

I hope you enjoy your blue cheese experience.”

I have a fond connection with Amablu. My grandfather worked in the sand caves in Faribault making blue cheese many years ago. They shut down the caves for a while, and then recently the Faribault Dairy company bought them and began production again.

My sister and I have very thin skin, so you can easily see our veins beneath it. We like to say that we have blue cheese coursing through our veins. When people ask how we can eat moldy cheese, we say, “It’s in our blood!” We follow in the footsteps of our grandpa!

6 comments:

Gluten free Kay said...

It's so kind of you to share your research. Thanks for doing my homework for me!

I love bleu cheese, but have cut it out of my diet for almost a year. My local Kroger grocery carries Amablu. I've looked longingly at it in the fancy cheese case every week. Now I'm going to BUY some and make myself a big Italian salad! Yahooey!

Carrie said...

I love companies who respond like that!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Everybody,
Thank you, Sari, for mentioning that my father, your grandfather, worked at the site which is now Amablu. The factory is located along the Straight River which runs through Faribault, MN. The cheese is aged in natural sandstone caves which run along the river. Many years ago, before WW2, the founder of the Treasure Cave Cheese Company found that the natural coolness and moiture which the caves possessed aged the cheese to perfection in 120 days. My father joined the company as the factory supperintendent before America joined the allies in WW2. He returned to that possition when he returned from France. The caves which snake back into the high bluff along the Straight River were all dug by hand. You might think the caves are quite small. Not at all. They are about 12 to 15 feet wide and 15 to 20 feet in height. If you ever are passing through Faribault, MN I think you would enjoy taking a tour of the plant. It's quite interesting.
Love Always, Dad :-)

Ames said...

Well, you might not be able to eat Pillsbury products, but you're one of my winners :) I think I need your new address so I can have the company send you your prize :)

Rachel said...

I'll have to check to see if we can buy Amablu cheese around here (upstate New York). I've been thinking all bleu cheese is verboten on our new gf experience, so thanks for the information.

Sarah said...

I'm happy to help. I just love bleu cheese!