Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Wild Rice Soup - Dairy Free and Gluten Free

On Saturday, we brought lunch over to our friends Mike and Amy's house. They have a dream of a baby girl, who recently has been producing a larger-than-normal amount of spit-up. Since Amy's nursing, she's been altering her diet to try to help the baby. So far, eating dairy free has helped.

When I decided to bring them Wild Rice Soup, I realized that I not only had to modify it to be gluten free, but I had to modify it to be dairy free as well.

I used this recipe. I subbed oil for butter and rice milk for half-and-half to make it dairy free. Then to make it gluten free, for the 3/4 cup all-purpose flour I subbed a 1/4 cup brown rice flour, a 1/4 cup sorghum flour, and a 1/4 cup tapioca flour.

The soup was not very creamy; it ended up being brothier. But it was very, very good. So I'm definitely saving this recipe to use again!

No comments: